
Pat McAfee Breaks Silence on ESPN Layoffs - His Rumored $60 Million Deal Draws Backlash
By Cameron Hale. Jul 29, 2026
Pat McAfee used the Tuesday, July 21, 2026 edition of “The Pat McAfee Show” to address the wave of ESPN layoffs that had just thinned the network’s on-air roster, calling the firings “terrible” even as his own name sat at the center of the storm. “We hate any time this happens,” McAfee said, in comments transcribed by Awful Announcing and relayed by Yahoo Sports. “Obviously this is terrible. We don’t like that. But we are very honored that we are still partnered with ESPN and Disney for the good of sport and the future.” The timing was hard to ignore, because the man mourning the cuts was reportedly weeks away from a raise most of the departed could only imagine.
The names ESPN let go
The layoffs claimed a run of familiar voices, including NFL analyst Ryan Clark, former MVP quarterback Cam Newton, longtime baseball broadcaster Karl Ravech and NFL insider Tom Pelissero, according to Yahoo Sports. Clark’s departure drew the most attention, with related reporting describing a controversial on-air exit that he later said he felt was forced. For viewers who had grown up with those names, the sweep landed as a jolt, and the backlash quickly found a target in the network’s highest-profile survivor.
The $60 million question
McAfee’s show was acquired by ESPN in September 2023, and in June 2026 it was reported that his representatives were negotiating an extension. Yahoo Sports, citing the reporting, placed the two sides “between $50 to 65 million per year,” with a figure climbing upward of $60 million annually. No new deal had been finalized and terms were still being worked out, but the number alone was enough to divide fans, who questioned the network’s spending priorities as colleagues cleaned out their desks.
McAfee pushes back on the blame
McAfee has heard the accusation before, and he waved it off on air. He noted that his show had been “blamed” for cuts once already, back when the program was first licensed by the network. “I feel like you don’t fully understand budgets and where things are coming from, but I do appreciate that,” he said, per Awful Announcing. “There’s billions and billions of dollars in these companies, and hard decisions have to get made. And we don’t like any of them, and we hope we’re an asset to the company going forward.”
Where it stands
By all accounts McAfee is safe from this round of cuts, a status Yahoo Sports attributed to his high profile as a non-traditional ESPN talent. His extension remained unsigned as of the reporting, the departed names remained gone, and the debate over whether one host is worth more than a roomful of veterans was still burning across sports media. ESPN had not publicly reconciled the two decisions, leaving the “billions and billions” line to do the talking.
References: Pat McAfee breaks silence on ESPN layoffs | Pat McAfee responds after being blamed for ESPN layoffs
The News Command team was assisted by generative AI technology in creating this content
Trending

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More

Read More